Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Letter to Mona Simpson, re her 'Casebook'

Miss Mona -- just wanted to write and tell you how much I loved Casebook (and Hollywood and all your writing in general) -- just finished it, and there were some indelible lines -- re married sex 'Get it over with. I always feel better after. It's just before. The DREAD. -- oh god yes. And bits of weird facts, courtesy Boop Two: Snowflakes are hexagonally symmetric. Like viruses.' And brief, perfect descriptions: 'She smiled. Everything tilted.' Plus all the Uncle Albert quotes, like 'As simple as possible but not more so.' Just so, AE. Also, I spent way too much time trying to come up with more words that end in -dous, and it hurt my brain (in a good way). Plus the great insights, ie: '...and the attention felt natural, even to me, though we'd rarely gotten it before. That was the thing about attention when it finally came: it never seemed amazing. It felt, if anything, maybe just a little LATE.'
And that beautiful, beautiful poem: 'O Western wind, when wilt thou blow/That the small rain down can rain?/Christ, that my love were in my arms/And I in my bed again!' Kind of says everything. As well as WE ARE WHAT WE HABITUALLY DO.
Anyway -- as a novelist myself (I think Velocity came out at the same time as Anywhere But Here), I love it when people point out the specifics, and wanted to do this for you.

Lastly, thank you, SO MUCH, for all your work.


No comments:

Post a Comment