Sunday, January 31, 2016

Paris Red, & The Hand That Feeds You

From Paris Red, a fascinating and very modern re-telling of Edouard Manet's relationship to his best muse  (told from the point of view of his mistress/model, a seventeen-year-old who 'wears the green boots of a whore'):

'He pulls me to him then, and I must be just as crude as he is because whatever he says, I say it back.
'Le joujou, le chat, d'un cote(accent egu).
'Le vit, la lance, de l'autre.'

Re the girlfriend she ditched when she met the man, they meet briefly and she says to her friend,
'Je pense fort a toi.'

                                       *                          *                           *

Okay, now from The Hand That Feeds You, by A.J. Rich
(A standing for Amy, as in Hempel, J standing for Jill, as in Ciment, and Rich, I believe, for not reason at all except that I'm a writer, too, stands for what they hope this book will make them).

It's a wonderful mystery/thriller set in the 'dog' world (shelters, institutions, pitt bull fosters, etc) and deals with sociopaths (and psychopaths -- the difference wherein seems to be violence; the latter prone, the former not so much).

So I just wanna recommend it.
It's ridiculously like the other novel I just started, so NO SPOILER ALERTS.
But it sure do give these gals a chance for some gallows humor.

All I really want to say is GIT these books, READ these books, PASS these books on!
They make excellent gifts and even better present(s) and if you, like me, cannot afford to buy them, you can just ask your library to order them...
(and they will!!)

Dancing and libraries -- doubtless I will be repeating myself on these two things until I'm DEAD -- best things Man ever legalized!

Just read em.
(You won't be sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment